Arian Catholic Theological Society (ACTS) Forums  

Go Back   Arian Catholic Theological Society (ACTS) Forums > Arian Catholicism > Arian Catholic Hymns and Poetry
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Arian Catholic Hymns and Poetry A forum for discussions on and posting examples of Arian and Early Church Hymns and Poetry. Most pre-Nicaean Hymns did not survive, but some did!

Old 16th January 2008
Presbyter (Full Member)

Hermes is on a distinguished road
Default And Did Those Feet...

And did those feet in ancient time
walk upon Englandís mountains green?
And was the holy Lamb of God
on Englandís pleasant pastures seen?
And did the countenance divine
shine forth upon our clouded hills?
And was Jerusalem builded here
among these dark Satanic Mills?

Bring me my bow of burning gold!
Bring me my arrows of desire!
Bring me my spear! O clouds, unfold!
Bring me my chariot of fire!
I will not cease from mental fight,
nor shall my sword sleep in my hand,
till we have built Jerusalem
In Englandís green and pleasant Land.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/And_Did_Those_Feet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAA0A5WpZE4

This poem is really good, I really like it when it is sung by a choir. I have Vangelis' version of it, named Jerusalem. I am sure the English people here appreciate it, and it's related to the old belief of Christ in Glastonbury.

Discuss it if you wish! What thoughts does it bring to you?

Last edited by Hermes : 16th January 2008 at 12:51 AM.
Old 8th February 2008
Archpresbyter (Accomplished Full Member)

Postulare42 is on a distinguished road

I am quite sure that the English people here appreciate this poem! I has become world famous, and best remembered from the phrase, "Jam and Jerusalem" as the theme song of the "Women's Institute".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23IXc...eature=related

Wonderful movie about some very wonderful women.
Old 11th March 2009

Since that last link was "Removed by poster", Here's the link to watch the whole darn thing! lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bi8b5...eature=related
Old 28th January 2011
Bishop (Senior Member)

Danage is on a distinguished road
Default And did those feet...

Hi Hermes,

'And did those feet in ancient times...' is a very popular English poem, and hymn. Thanks for sharing. The hymn/poem seems to be a reference to the legend that Christ came to Britain between the ages of twelve and thirty (or how ever old he was when he started his ministry).

I have put something about this hymn/poem in another thread. I have started to find the links between England and Christ fascinating and I intend to investigate this legend still further, as the ACC website has a page on this legend. While it isn't Arian Catholic dogma, it is still an interesting theory.

I like the hymn 'And did those feet in ancient time', and I'm sure other English people do too. I even noticed one person on YouTube saying it should be the English national anthem, lol.

Pax et bonum.
Old 28th January 2011

Since tin was essential to the bronze age, and Britain was a prime source for this necessary metal even in the pre-Roman Phoenecian and Micenean times, influences are clear.

Of special interest is that the earliest illuminations and records seem to indicate an distinctly coptic flavor (rather than Byzantine or Roman) to the earliest appearances of the Yeshua movement on the island.
Old 28th January 2011
Bishop (Senior Member)

Default Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulare42 View Post
Since tin was essential to the bronze age, and Britain was a prime source for this necessary metal even in the pre-Roman Phoenecian and Micenean times, influences are clear.

Of special interest is that the earliest illuminations and records seem to indicate an distinctly coptic flavor (rather than Byzantine or Roman) to the earliest appearances of the Yeshua movement on the island.
Oh really? That's interesting. I knew that tin came from England, but didn't know that the earliest pictures were more Coptic in Britain.

Pax et bonum.
Old 29th January 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danage View Post
Oh really? That's interesting. I knew that tin came from England, but didn't know that the earliest pictures were more Coptic in Britain.

Pax et bonum.
The earliest liturgical chasubles depicted in illuminations were of the coptic varieties of the period; and the portions of the Celtic liturgy which have survived show more in common with Alexandrian and N. African traditions.

Of interest, too, is that floor mosaics and altar artifacts discovered in the past couple of decades in the "Roman" villas of the time in southern England show North African "gnostic" iconography, suggesting that the Xianity to first hit the islands was more N. African than Byzantine or Roman, though the artforms were executed in Roman style. These artifacts seem to have been hidden during the first Constantinian purges of non-orthodox practices about 30 years after the Nicene Council.

Since you are fortunate enough to live in the UK, you are most likely acquainted with this documentary series which touches upon these things:

http://britain.docuwat.ch/videos/bri...el_id=5&skip=0

(oddly, this site inverts and mislabels parts 2 and 3)

I especially like parts one (where he touches on what I've mentioned above) and part three (where he clearly demonstrates that Britain was a beacon during a dark time in western Europe.

Last edited by Postulare42 : 30th January 2011 at 05:03 PM.
Old 30th January 2011
Bishop (Senior Member)

Quote:
I am quite sure that the English people here appreciate this poem! I has become world famous, and best remembered from the phrase, "Jam and Jerusalem" as the theme song of the "Women's Institute".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23IXc...eature=related

Wonderful movie about some very wonderful women.
Lol. It is indeed the theme song of the Women's Institute, as they are said to 'make jam and sing Jerusalem'. I have just looked up their views on this image, and the WI hate it. They say they don't make jam or sing Jerusalem. I don't know where the expression came from, but its kind of stuck to them.

Anyway, I'm going a bit off topic here. Sorry.
Old 30th January 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danage View Post
Lol. It is indeed the theme song of the Women's Institute, as they are said to 'make jam and sing Jerusalem'. I have just looked up their views on this image, and the WI hate it. They say they don't make jam or sing Jerusalem. I don't know where the expression came from, but its kind of stuck to them.

Anyway, I'm going a bit off topic here. Sorry.
Jam IS sticky. lol
Old 30th January 2011
Bishop (Senior Member)

Default Jam and Paul of Tarsus

Quote:
Jam IS sticky. lol
I thought of putting that, but I thought it was being too obvious. Lol.

There is an English theory that Paul of Tarsus came to Britain and there he converted the English to 'Christianity' (rightly termed 'Paulian Christianity', or Christendom). Saint Paul's Cathedral is meant to be indicative of this. Also, the riddle I posted says something different. Of course, this is all conjecture, and is almost certainly coincidence.

Christianity was introduced to Britain early, so I think it was much more likely it was Yeshuah.