Arian Catholic Theological Society (ACTS) Forums  

Go Back   Arian Catholic Theological Society (ACTS) Forums > Arian Catholic Reviews > Arian Catholic Related Books and Recommended Reading
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Arian Catholic Related Books and Recommended Reading Discuss the latest books on Arianism, St. Arius, the Early Church and related subjects.

Old 14th October 2012
Bishop (Senior Member)

Danage is on a distinguished road
Default 350th Anniversary of the 1662 Book of Common Prayer

Shalom,

As they say, better late than never.

No sooner have some in the Anglican Communion, and some other churches (mainly her siblings, being the Protestant churches), have celebrated the 400th anniversary of the most beautiful work in the English language, than the mainstream Christians are, the next year, celebrating the 350th anniversary of the 1662 Book of Common Prayer (or B.C.P.).

So in 2011, the 400th anniversary of the Authorised (or King James) Version (or A.V./K.J.V.) of the Christian bible, was celebrated.
During this year (from 1st January, one would assume) 2012, the 350th anniversary of the 1662 Book of Common Prayer was, and is still being, celebrated.

One year for the A.V., then the next year for the B.C.P.

The King James (Christian bible) Trust exists to continue celebrating the A.V., while the Prayer Book Society is there to celebrate the anniversary of the B.C.P.

I think that the A.V. and the B.C.P. have had the same impact, if not more, than the works of England's greatest playwright, William Shakespeare, on the English language and her development into Modern English than any other book, or books, in the English speaking world.

The first Book of Common Prayer was published in 1549. That prayer book set in motion other B.C.P.s in not just English, but other languages. The B.C.P. suffered a set back during the reign of the Roman Catholic Mary I, but her reign was short.

If the anniversary of the first B.C.P. had been celebrated, the nearest milestone would have been 1999, of which the 450th anniversary would have been celebrated; alas, the Church of England put more stock in the B.C.P. 1662, I presume because the B.C.P. is, at least partially, accepted for services in the modern Church of England.

The proposed 1927/1928 version was approved by the Church Assembly of the Church of England (now the General Synod), but was not approved by the British Parliament, since it was assumed by some that the 1927/1928 version was tending towards what is known as 'popery'.

The 1928 B.C.P. was never approved, but the 1662 version was the Book of Common Prayer that is still partially approved. The Church of England have published a different prayer book (called Common Worship, I think).

The 1549 version, however, is accepted by the A.C.C. I do not find this odd, nor object to it, as I am a Shammai Jew (Yehudi Shammai), but I have the 1549, 1662 and proposed 1928, Books of Common Prayer in my book collection, which I read on occasion.

As to whether this post is in the right part of the forums, or not, that I apologise for.