Arian Catholic Theological Society (ACTS) Forums  

Go Back   Arian Catholic Theological Society (ACTS) Forums > Archives > Glossary of Terms & Theological Wiki Encyclopaedia
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Glossary of Terms & Theological Wiki Encyclopaedia This Forum can be used for listing and defining terms used in Theology and on this Forum Community. If you come across a term that you would like to know more about, post your questions here, so that others can elaborate for you. Please note that moderators may merge and tidy up some threads and posts to maintain accuracy and conciseness.

Old 7th November 2007
Archdeacon (Accomplished Junior Member)

Matt2817 is on a distinguished road
Red face Ah-ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulare42 View Post
Stephen's logic is sound, "Matt", but it's base of premises lacks breadth.

Many years ago, my logic prof's first words at the commencement of the first session were, " 'Logic' is a damn fine way to go wrong with confidence! " We all laughed . . . some nervously.

I considered including the above anecdote in my prior post, but I thought it better to let Stephen get into the water at least up to his knees before releasing the piranhas.

Seriously, Stephen, are you game for a little patrology/patristics ? I like your energy. Wanna have some fun?
Grace and Peace all,

Duh! I failed to take into account what Stephen wrote in context. I humbly apologize. Specifically for my misreading of this portion of his post:

[...]because The whole is greater than the sum of its parts, and is therefore far greater than any one part of the whole. [...]

In context this makes perfect sense as regarding the Trinity corundum.

I went off on a tangent. Again, my sincere apology to the forum in general and Stephen particularly. And my thanks to Postulare42 for checking me.

In blessing, bless
Wayne Matthew Mari
Old 11th November 2007
Deacon (Junior Member)

Stephen_Webb is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Stephen_Webb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulare42 View Post
Seriously, Stephen, are you game for a little patrology/patristics ? I like your energy. Wanna have some fun?
Greetings and blessings to all!
I welcome the debate Postulare42!- lets get on a topic and see where it takes us then.
Peace be with you all
Old 17th April 2010
Deacon (Junior Member)

Kymbo is on a distinguished road
Default Link Forbidden x 2

Greetings, brother!

I found the same thing - link forbidden. However, I did find the following message accompanying the error message, which hints at the position this site takes on the atonement:

`In his death on the cross, Christ atoned for the sins of men such that God is satisfied and reconciliation is accomplished for all who will be redeemed.'

I might be wrong, but it looks like the view on the atonement being propounded on this site is the `satisfaction' view, which originated with Anselm, Bishop of Canterbury, in the 12th century. Personally, I regard all views on `vicarious substitution' as error, simply because the underlying philosophies upon which they are based (neo-platonism) teach that Messiah cannot take upon Himself `flesh' which can be tempted to sin, as this would mean that He has descended into this material plane of existence, which would then automatically corrupt His divinity. Therefore He must (according to the Chalcedonian Creed) take upon Himself the sinless `flesh' of the pre-lapsarian Adam (the sinless `flesh', or nature of Adam before the fall). Anselm believed that Mary, His human mother is (by some sort of `divine miracle') `exempted' from sin at His conception, therefore determining that God was too impotent to send His Son `in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh' (Rom. 8: 3). Such are the heresies propounded by the Romish Church.

The `good news' of the gospel, is that at Calvary, all of humanity was reconciled back to God, by the death of His dear Son; not just those that `believe', as this site seems to propose:

`Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.' (Rom. 5:18)

However, this does not mean that all will be saved (as the heresy of `universalism' teaches); for in order to receive the `free gift' of redemption and reconciliation back to God, we must first receive it! The Lord Himself then brings us to conformity to the Law by `faith that works by love (`agape') - (Gal. 5:6). However, if we choose to refuse redemption by the Saviour, we then refuse salvation.

May peace be with you, brother.
(Please forgive the font size - I stuffed it up while editing!)

Kym.

Last edited by Kymbo : 17th April 2010 at 11:08 PM.
Old 18th April 2010
Presbyter (Full Member)

LeviathanNI is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to LeviathanNI

I often wonder if Jesus' death was just as a consequence of political expediency ie it satisfied the majority of those with vested interests. I wonder what kind of Church we would have now, had he lived, and been able to put his guidance and ministry on a solid concrete footing.
I would love to have met him, asked him what his plans were for the future, and to see how far his guidance would have taken us... a man who's mortal coil was taken far too soon imo

That said, we are lucky to have ever known of him at all, and to have even an inkling of what he was trying to show us.. as we are all Sons of God, then he truely was our older brother.
Old 22nd April 2010
Archpresbyter (Accomplished Full Member)

Postulare42 is on a distinguished road

Well put, brother GFT III !

Postulare42; GFT II (hons)
Old 15th September 2012
Presbyter (Full Member)

David Kone is on a distinguished road

My God is not so cruel as to require human sacrifice to appease his anger. Mar Yeshua went to his fate much as did Socrates as an act of love for his community. It was in his case a prophetic act which set into motion events that rocked the world. If he had not done so we would not have the extraordinary world we live in today.