Arian Catholic Theological Society (ACTS) Forums  

Go Back   Arian Catholic Theological Society (ACTS) Forums > Arian Catholicism > Textual Criticism & Scriptural Theology
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Textual Criticism & Scriptural Theology This Forum is for discussing an analysing different scriptural texts and the teachings therein.

Old 12th January 2011
Deacon (Junior Member)

Ramiro is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulare42 View Post
The wise words are not mine. They are collected from the records entitled Mark, Matthew and the letters of Peter, James and John.

Aleichem shalom
Peace be with you and yours,

I respectfully disagree dear brother, the words are yours, however the wisdom? that is acquired... humility accepted.

Shalom and thank you.
Old 12th January 2011
Archpresbyter (Accomplished Full Member)

Postulare42 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramiro View Post
Peace be with you and yours,

I respectfully disagree dear brother, the words are yours, however the wisdom? that is acquired... humility accepted.

Shalom and thank you.
yeah. ok. I paraphrased. lol
Old 12th January 2011
Deacon (Junior Member)

Default Theological Studies

Quote:
yeah. ok. I paraphrased. lol
Lol... shalom.

Postulare, I have a question... I am considering a MS in Theology and was wondering if you might have some input... good institutions or online universities?

Ramiro )
Old 13th January 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramiro View Post
Lol... shalom.

Postulare, I have a question... I am considering a MS in Theology and was wondering if you might have some input... good institutions or online universities?

Ramiro )
That's a bit of a complicated question that requires information I don't think should be shared in open forum.

Private message, and we'll dig into the issue together.
Old 13th January 2011
Deacon (Junior Member)

Quote:
That's a bit of a complicated question that requires information I don't think should be shared in open forum.

Private message, and we'll dig into the issue together.

Thank you, by your lead brother. I'll wait for further instructions )

Shalom.
Old 28th January 2011
Bishop (Senior Member)

Danage is on a distinguished road
Default Conclusion

I now agree with what others have said: Yeshuah is God not to the point of literally being God, but is God in the sense of acting as God.

Judaism dictates that God is one, and that the uniplurals refer to angels, who act in the name of God, and are God, to some extent, but not literally God.

Also, as Postulare put, it is trivial.

Also, in another thread, his Grace put that the Sons of God are great men. I agree with this, and also Psalm 82:6 (which I admit I often quote) links men to the titles of Sons of God. Also, angels are seen as the Sons of God. Essentially we are all Sons of God, as we are created by God, we obey His Torot (Laws) and we strive to follow God and preach the Gospel. That is a Son of God.

I think it would be interesting to debate other verses or passages in the Bible that link Christ to God (in the sense that Christ is God's Son, but not God), discuss certain doctrines and also look at certain verses that strengthen our faith.
Old 28th January 2011

A verse comes to mind.

"Woe for those who find the son of man a stumbling block"
Old 6th October 2013
Bishop (Senior Member)

Danage is on a distinguished road
Default The name on the cross: a Jewish perspective

Shalom,

I have been pondering John 19:19. I want to share my thoughts as they are now, on the name on the cross.

In Hebrew the name would indeed render: Yeshua HaNotsaret VeMelekh HaYehudaim, being: Yeshua the Nazarene and King of the Judeans (the literal rendering of Yehudaim). Let's take a look at this bit of Hebrew.

Grammatically (in Hebrew) this sign is correct, but while being grammatically correct in the Hebrew context, it raises the question: could it apply to others? Let me explain.

Yitzchak (Isaac in Hebrew) could be from Yerushalayim (Jerusalem) and be called king of the Jews. Now, bear with me here; I am not equating anyone called Isaac (including the Biblical Isaac) to Yeshua, but I do have a point I wish to elaborate on.

Let's assume that the Messiah's name is Yitzchak and he came from Jerusalem. Such a sign would read (and my Hebrew isn't very good, so apologies if I do get it a bit wrong): Yitzchak HaYerushalmi VeMelekh HaYehudaim. This renders, in the long form 'Isaac, the Jerusalemite and King of the Jews' (literally Judeans), which in the shortened form is YHVH.

The problem? He isn't the messiah. You could take anyone who had a name beginning with a Yod (Hebrew: Y) and have him from practically anywhere, and slap the title 'King of the Jews' at the end of his name and where he came from.

In other words, the idea that the sign on the cross spells out the name of God does not give any credence, implied or actual, to the idea that the Messiah has to be God Himself. Yeshua is not God, and thus John 19:19 does not prove the supposed Godhood of Yeshua.

I hope that this is helpful to some.

Pax et bonum.

Br. Joshua